Different management activities conducted within the MLS have different requirements and permits:

Activity Requirement
Herbicide Use Letter of Opinion from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (possibly waved if the Conservation Authority is involved with the project, exempt on agricultural land)
Burning (over 1 square meter) Open Air Burn Permit from the Municipality of Lambton Shores, valid for one day, must be submitted two days in advance
Burning on Crown land (Federally owned) Low Complexity Prescribed Burn Plan  from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Volunteers become “Certified Technicians” or “Licensed Applicators” to apply herbicide Certification obtained through online education program and field-work overseen by licensed applicator. Must work under the Conservation Authority or a licensed contractor to have insurance and liability coverage
Management conducted on private property Permission provided by the property owner

Delays for required letters or permissions have caused delays of a year in initiating some projects, resulting in larger infested areas and higher project costs. Because of unpredictable weather conditions, burn permit requirements are burdensome, often resulting in multiple permit application submissions for a single project.

Non-native Phragmites is not on the MLS’s noxious weed list, so property owners are not legally compelled to remove it.


Kettle and Stony Point First Nation volunteer fire department burning cut Phragmites along Shawshawanda Creek, April 2013. Photo courtesy of Janice Gilbert